The Goverlan Reach Operator Console uses a database back-end to store inventory data as well as operator configuration objects.
By default, the configuration uses a local file-based SQL database stored on the operator’s machine. However, for a large environment, you can configure an MS SQL database backend to improve performance.
If multiple operators are using Goverlan, it is recommended to configure all operator consoles to point to the same database. This enables Team Collaboration as well as the sharing of inventory data.
For more information on how to configure SQL or SQL Express for Goverlan use, see Goverlan SQL Server Configuration.
Open the General Settings of the application and select the Database Settings category.
- Database Type – Specify the database type. SQLite or SQL Server.
- Database Name – The name of the database.
- Folder Path (for SQLite) – The path to the SQLite database file. For multiple operators, use a network share location.
- SQL Server Name Instance (for SQL Server)– The name and SQL Instance for the server. NOTE: If your SQL Server has a hardcoded SQL port such as 1433, append the port with (comma)1433 or the port that you wish to use. For example MYSERVER\SomeInstance,1433
- Authentication (for SQL Server) – Choose the authentication type. Windows or SQL authentication.
Goverlan implements a technology call SureData. This technology uniquely combines a real-time information query engine with a database back-end. When system information is queried, a real-time query is executed, and upon success, the information is registered as inventory data. If the system becomes unavailable, the information is queried from inventory instead of real-time.
Inventory data is stored in the database back-end. The Database Settings window allows you to turn OFF this feature if you do not wish to have inventory data registered.
You can also open the Advanced Settings to:
- View the amount of database storage used by different inventory data objects
- Enable or disable inventory registration of specific objects
- Configure how often inventory updates should be registered in the database
- Reset specific inventory data